So a few days ago I set out to remake Hazlenut Praline. My first try at this wasn’t good. But passable. It started with blanced hazelnuts and blanched whole almonds. I melted the sugar and added the nuts and then mixed and poured it out into a lined Baking sheet and left to cool. Braking. It was was to say the least a massive pain in the bottom it was like a slab of nutty glass. I then blisted it and I dented my processors blades and wasn’t happy. But it did start to turn into a paste and after 20 minutes it wasn’t changing so I added t melted chocolate and it was good it looked right.
- 220g of Blanched almonds
- 220g of Blanched Hazelnuts
- 200g of Sugar
- 100ml of Water
- A nice healthy Glug of Vanilla
So the recipe called for the nuts to be roasted in oven for 15minutes at 180°c.
While they baked I brought the pan of water sugar and vanilla. To 120°c then added the roasted nuts and mixed. Now this is where I went wrong now I got the point where it said to mix until caramelised but I carried on mixing and then the sugar burned!! But I carried on and just didn’t add the black bits or nuts. I crumbled it up into the processor and blitzed it on and off every 2 minutes as processor isn’t fit for job but will cope. It came to a good sticky crumb and then started to go oily and turned into a good looking but burnt smelling hazelnut paste.
I think the next time I will mix the nuts in the boiled sugar until it’s crystallised and then blitz it. Hot. But cool enough so it doesn’t cause damage to the processor.